Thanks to the support of our great business partners, the Thunder has been able to provide a T-shirt for every fan attending a playoff game at Chesapeake Energy Arena. How this goes from an idea to a sea of white or blue – or whatever color it may be – is a story that represents a microcosm of our organization.
At the Thunder, no person or department works alone, something that’s especially true when it comes to the T-shirts. No fewer than six departments are directly involved in the T-shirt creation and distribution:
- Our Business Development staff works with our partners to secure sponsorship of the shirts
- The Marketing department works on T-shirt designs
- When the shirts are printed, our Events and Entertainment crew starts putting out the boxes
- Volunteers contacted by our Community Relations department disperse the shirts
- Corporate Communications staff spreads the word on the shirt color on the day of the game
- The Guest Relations department helps any fans who may need larger sizes or have other issues with the shirts
In all of that, the folks who make the real magic happen by transforming the arena before the game are our volunteers. As many as 150 volunteers are needed each game, and it takes about five hours to get a shirt on every seat.
- Karina Henderson